Tuesday, October 30, 2007

#19 Discovering Web 2.0 tools

The site I looked at was www.yelp.com, under the heading City Guides and Reviews. I wasn't going to go for a winning site, but I was interested in the idea. Basically it is a site where people can review the services, businesses, events, etc. in their area. Unfortunately, it is only within the United States at the moment.

What a good idea though! It would be great if there was something like this for our locality. Any sites that I have seen about the area are either from a council view, for prospective residents, or from the local tourism folk.

To have something that residents can add to would be great. I still can't say definitively what the best restaurants in my area are, because we don't eat out very often, so when we do, it's hit and miss. To the best of my knowledge there are no local restaurant reviews.

Same with trades and services. Last year when we needed a new fence, we just picked a few people out of the phone book to give us quotes, based purely on...intuition? randomness? Same with mechanics - we tried a few local ones which we weren't happy with, and ended up going back to the one we knew outside of our area. It would be so handy if there was a site we could go to with people's recommendations (or not, as the case may be).

This would also be something I would regularly point people to in the library. We get a lot of people asking for local business information, and as I don't live where I work, I am generally clueless. I think I have already illustrated how much I know about the area where I do live.

No comments: